The Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge, Ottawa, Canada
The Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge is a steel truss cantilever bridge spanning the Ottawa River between Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec. 1,848 feet long, the bridge carries over 15,000 vehicles, 2000 pedestrians and 1300 cyclists per day. It serves as an important link for commuters and tourists alike.
The bridge was constructed over 100 years ago (built between 1898 and 1900) by the Canadian Pacific Railway, yet it remains a vital part of the interprovincial infrastructure and economy. Keeping the structure sound and capable of withstanding its modern demands along with preserving its historical charm are both paramount.
An easily recognizable landmark in both provinces, the west deck of the bridge is part of the Trans Canada Trail and there are two major parks (Major’s Hill Park, Ottawa and Jacques Cartier Park, Gatineau) located near each end of the bridge.
Over the years, there are been various upgrades to the bridge. In the 1950s, it was upgraded from a train bridge to one that would also handle vehicular traffic and pedestrians. By 1966, the last passenger train would cross the bridge.
In 2009, the bridge underwent a major rehabilitation in which various structural improvements were made including the replacement of its guardrails, concrete deck, and wood boardwalk.
Tuned Mass Damper for Bridges
A&H Custom Machine supplied eight 5 tonne TMDs to stabilize the Royal Alexandria Bridge and help to reduce the vibrations that occur due to the large amount of traffic as well as other environmental factors. As part of a team of specialists assigned to the project, A&H Custom Machine provided engineering and design, material strength testing, fabrication and assembly, and commissioning of the TMDs.
The team at A&H Custom Machine is proud to have played a small role in preserving the Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge for the transport of goods and people between Ontario and Quebec.